Rotary Club Genova San Giorgio - a brief history
Rotary Club Genova S. Giorgio has been established in 2002, as a direct emanation of Rotary Club
Genova and Genova Nord, and is currently numbering 69 partners, 14 women and 55 men. Usual meeting point, is, at present, the "Terrazze del Ducale" restaurant, De Ferrari Square, Genoa, Italy.
Starting next July, the usual meeting point will be at Hotel Bristol Palace in Genoa, via XX Settembre; usual meeting days are the 1st; 2nd; 3rd Friday of the week at 12,45 at Hotel Bristol
Palace,and the 4th Friday at 20,00 in a place to be agreed from time to time.Since its foundations, Rotary S. Giorgio has distinguished itself as one of the clubs with the lowest members' median
age (now 44 Years for person) in the whole 2030 District.This has shown up into a strong program of activities and services, both as a participation to joint initiatives from other clubs, and as
the promotion of the club's own actions.Here is a brief chronology of the sequence of Club Presidents, and of the main initiatives performed under them:
• Year 2002-2003. (President: Stefano Scillieri). Participation to the Genovese Rotary service in favour of ALPIM, Associazione Ligure per i Minori. Participation to the PolioPlus program.
• Year 2003-2004 (President: Luca Canevello). Participation to the Genovese Rotary initiative for the Museo del Mare. Participation to the project "Water in Cachacullo", for the construction of a water supply system in that location of the Andes. Participation to Genovese Rotary initiatives for Genoa Capital of Culture 2004. Participation to the PolioPlus program. Participation to the BRAHAMAS project, for the acquisition of teaching material for third world schools. Participation of the "Alfabetizzando" project, against illitteracy. Support to the Gaslini Children Hospital.
• Year 2004-2005 (President: Valerio Ruggiero). Prosecution of activites related to Genoa Capital of Culture 2004. Participation to the PolioPlus program. Support to the Gaslini Children Hospital. For the activity performed in the year, the Club has been awarded the Paul Harris Award.
• Year 2005-2006 (President: Roberto Adinolfi). "Riconosco…" initiative, for the voluntary increase of the club members' contribution to the Rotary foundation. Participation to the PolioPlus program, and to the Rotary's initiatives against illitteracy and clean water. Support to the Gaslini Children Hospital.
• Year 2006-2007 (President: Paolo Grasso). Participation to the District's initiative "A heart for Albania", for the treatment of Albanian children affected by heart diseases. Own club initiative "A copybook for Ethiopia", for the supply of stationery and other school material to Ethiopian schools. Participation to Casa Maria Dormitory in Africa District initiative. Support to the Sextum Association for the development of a medical exams laboratory. Support to the Children Kidneys' diseases Fund. Support to screening and therapy of talaxemy in Morocco. Acquisition of a kitchen for a hospice for terminally ill people in Genoa. Support to "non ti scordar di me" association for the assistance to children in difficulty. Support to Benedectine Sisters of Providence's African Mission in Cote d' Ivoire.
• Year 2007-2008 (President: Marco Oddera): Participation to the PolioPlus program. Support to screening and therapy of talaxemy in Morocco. Participation to District's projects for the Tunis Christian Hospital and for alphabetisation of AIDS orphans in the Central African Republic. Doubling of quota per partner to the Rotary Foundation. Support to the Benedectine Sisters of Providence Mission in Cote d'Ivoire (Purchase of analysis machines). Support to the Sextum Association for the development of a medical exams laboratory. Support to screening and therapy of talaxemy in Morocco. During this year, the club underwent its first contact with a foreign club, and precisely with the Barcelona Millennium Club, with a joint meeting in Barcelona on May 1 to 3, 2008.
• Year 2008-2009 (President: Marco De Paoli): Participation to the PolioPlus program. Participation to the step-up of effort for screening and therapy of talaxemy in Morocco. Participation to the support for the acquisition of a transportation van for disabled persons in Genoa. Management at Club level of a Matching Grant from the Rotary Foundation for the support to the activity of the Benedectine Sisters of Providence mission of Daloa (Cote d'Ivoire): beginning of definition work for a major activity of the Club in the sector of microcredit.
• Year 2009-2010 (President: Luigi Borgia). Participation to the PolioPlus program. Prosecution of work on the microcredit initiative. Definition and institution of a trust for the management of the microcredit initiative, and planning of operational work. Support to Genovese rotary initiative for the restoration of art exhibits in the historical center of Genoa. Restoration of an artistic statue in the monumental cemetery of Staglieno, Genoa ...Year 2010-2011 (President: Riccardo Ferrari). Continuation of support to Polio Plus. Continuation of the activities for the definition and institution of a trust for the management of the microcredit initiative, and planning of operational work. Support to Genovese Rotary initiative for the restoration of art exhibits in the historical center of Genoa. Restoration of the tomb of Michele Novaro in Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa. Participation to the "Acqua per sempre" initiative.
• Year 2011-2012 (President: cesare
Bruzzone). articipation to the PolioPlus program. Prosecution of work on the microcredit initiative, witht he definition and institution of a trust for the management of the initiative, and
planning of operational work. Continuation of support to the PolioPlus, the Morocco talaxemy and the support to other district initiatives, as well as the renewal of the Club's communication
• Year 2012-2013 (President: Pasquale Cama). Participation to the PolioPlus program. Prosecution of work on the microcredit initiative, with the definition and institution of a trust for the management of the initiative, and planning of operational work. Definition of new initiatives for the supoprto tothe rehabilitation of the inmmates of Genoa's prison. Prosecution of contacts with Rotary Munich Center for joint initiatives.
• Year 2013-2014 (President: dr. Walter Chiapussi). Planned activities for his term include a further expansion of the Club's communication modalities, prosecution of the Club's activities regards tothe Ploio Plus program, the microcredit initiatives and inmates support initiative, as well as new initiatives currently under study.
• Year 2014-2015 (President: arch. Elisabetta Ruggiero). Participation to the Polio Plus Program. participation to several initiatives in favour of the victims of genoa's 2015 flood, amongst which the initiative for the gifting of toys to children has attracted a wide attention amongst the media. Support of Cooperativa L'abbraccio for abandoned children
• Year 2015-2016 (President: ing. Piero Chiabra). Participation to the Polio Plus initiative. Expansion and operational implementation of microcredit initiatives both in Kenia and within the local territory. Support to the Abbraccio cooperative. Support to the Gigi Ghirotti cooperative for assistance to the terminally ill. participation to several interclub initiatives for the orientation of young people. In this year, the club has been the genovese club with the largest number of international foreign exchange students actually supported.
In the year, the club has achieved the World President's Presidential Award Gold
• Year 2016-2017 (President: avv. Vincenzo Di Franco). participation to the Polio Plus initiative. Services under way for the support of the activities of S. Egidio.
● In the year 2017-2018 (President: ing. Luca Spingardi, the club's activity focused upon the support to the S. Egidio community and to several initiatives in favor of autistic people. A great effort was dedicated to the club's conviviality as well as towards initiatives for fostering Members' participation.
Thanks to Piero Chiabra